Wednesday, July 14, 2010

naming of the blog

In my world, there has always been some kind chaos. It is what I find normal in my day to day living. I think of it as my own little slice of karma. It started at birth and has followed me to this day. I must have been disorganized in all of my past lives. Right now, a camera crew following me around is not a bad idea to document how it falls together.
For no reason in particular, our family was never good at anything that required careful planning. It is the whole chaos thing, You know? Small stuff always seemed to go awry with inexplicably enlarged results. This is why my parents never seemed to give anyone a straight answer. And I mean about almost anything. Their default reply to most situations was consistent. If there was to be an "I don't know" or "Don't ask me now" response coming, my folks would say to me and my brothers....sure, wednesday 3 o'clock. we can do it then.
It was a reasonable answer that meant that it was never gonna happen and strangely enough, it worked for us. No one had hurt feelings and it was one of those "you had to be there" kind of inside jokes.
Our early training to apply this message was really useful. We had the power to turn away unwanted phone callers. This of course was in the days before caller i.d., e-mails, texts, faxes, and all other contemporary methods of communication employed now. The ones that introduce the message with the name of the sender in it already. We were also pretty well informed about how having a sense of humor would be beneficial.
Now, it can be a lot easier to wriggle out of those unwanted conversations by hitting a delete button or let a phone call go to message. In those days, we were expected to answer all questions and be very polite in doing so.
As things stand right now, I am often free of a good answer to much of what my kids ask me... or my husband ... or the myriad of other folks with inquiries. I guess I am not great at being on the spot without a good answer. Perhaps it is time to revisit the response that worked for so long in my childhood home. How does
Wednesday at 3 o'clock sound ?

2 comments: